Does the sun seem to be shining a little brighter? Does the air feel a little softer? Have you spotted bright baskets of strawberries at the farmer’s market recently? Everything is telling you that spring is almost here and, boy oh boy, are you ready for it!
But what do you wear to celebrate springtime after what has felt like an unending winter?
It’s time to bid farewell to those old pilled sweatpants, tired wool sweaters, and salt-crusted boots. Instead, say hello to bright, breezy styles and fresh, fun, and bright colors. Create cute spring outfits, from sassy pants to sweet sundresses. We’ve put together the top spring 2022 plus-size fashions to help you wave buh-bye to the dreary and kiss hello the cheery!
Colors and Prints of 2022
Before you start stuffing your e-cart with spring styles, start familiarizing yourself with this season’s essentials—colors and prints. These are the essential aesthetics that define this year’s spring looks for plus sized fashionistas.
Spring 2022 Trending Colors
Curious about what colors are in for Spring? Every year, a new palette comes into play. Keep these hues in mind as you shop and even the simplest piece will become chic.
According to the color experts at Pantone, the trending spring-Summer 2022 colors at London Fashion week were:
- Cascade – A tropical, watery blue
- Coral rose – A stunning blush-tinged orange
- Supersonic – A bright electric blue
- Popcorn – A happy, mellow yellow
- Potpourri – Pastel pink with a hint of lilac
- Bubblegum – Bright pink
- Sudan brown – Earthy red-brown
- Fragile sprout – Fresh, lively pale green
- Orchid bloom – Delicate, pale purple
- Coffee quartz – Rich, basic brown
Now that we have our palette down, let’s get inspired.
Some of these bright colors might be flattering in big doses (we see you Cascade and Fragile Sprout) while others shine bright as a pop of color (Bubblegum).
For plus-size style, try incorporating spring 2022 trending colors in one of these plus size fashion outfits:
- Jeans, tee, and a cute plus size sweater – Classics are classic because they always look good. Perfect for winter to spring outfits,try pairing your fave jeans with a white cardigan and tee shirt in one of this season’s fun, fresh colors.
- Basic dress with sneakers or sandals – A plain wrap dress can go from office to after-party if you accessorize with a pair of sneakers in this season’s colors or a pair of sandals. Add a little pop of snazzy jewelry to complete the trendy plus size clothing look.
- Black pants and a colorful camisole – This look is perfectly polished and poised. Ideal for a dinner party or a night out, pair classic black trouser with a silky and colorful camisole.
- Monochrome athleisure – An all-over color makes a strong statement. Imagine a bright bubblegum pink sweatsuit or a cascade-hued legging and crop top workout set. Not only will you be inspired to hop out of bed for your jog, you’ll be looking cute at the coffeeshop post-sweat.
Spring 2022 Trending Prints
Colors, check. The next stop on this fashion tour? Prints.
This season’s patterns are big, bold, and beautiful. No wallflowers grow amongst this year’s spring prints:
- Large-format blooms
- Colorful block designs
- Scribble designs
Some stylish ways to wear this year’s prints in springtime are:
- On a blouse paired with a plain skirt or slacks
- On a long skirt with a subtle, neutral sweater
- As a layered piece beneath a light jacket
- A long, printed dress
The trick to pulling off a bold print is to keep your jewelry subtle and your other textiles neutral, letting your fierce print do all the talking.
Fresh New Pant Styles
For brisk mornings and sun-dappled afternoons, pants are a must for your spring wardrobe. Practical and always in style, pants offer flexibility for whatever spring soiree is on your calendar.
“But aren’t pants just…pants?” you might be wondering. Not so. This season, new silhouettes, styles, and hems will invigorate your dresser drawers. Spring has certainly sprung for plus size spring fashion in the pants department.
Some new trends include:
Crop Curved Hems
A subtle hint of style, the curved hem takes your pants from dull to darling. Whether curved just to the outer seam or scalloped all around the ankle, these plus size pants look perfect paired with a dainty flat, strappy sandal, or crisp white sneaker.
Easy, stylish, and comfortable? Yes, please. Jumpsuits have been on point for several seasons now and aren’t fading anytime soon. Either zipper, snap, wrap, or button-fronted, they can be silky and dressy or one step above your cousin Jed who works on trucks. But either way, they’re comfy and should be a go-to item this season.
Whether you’re itching for a fabulous new pair of trousers or experimenting with jumpsuits, ask yourself these questions as you shop for spring pants:
- Will this material keep me warm enough in the morning, then cool enough in the afternoon?
- Do I want functional pockets? (Of course, you do.)
- Would an elastic or zip-waist be more comfortable while maintaining a polished look?
- Do I prefer crop, ankle, or full-length pants in the springtime?
- Do I like a loose fit, a jogger fit, or a slim fit? How do I feel about jeggings and leggings?
- Will midday wrinkles spoil my mood if the material is linen-like? Or am I okay with a natural look?
- Do I want basic black, a pastel, or something in between?
- How do I feel about prints?
Full, floaty trousers are back in fashion. Ideal for a casual or a dressy look depending on how you top them, they look especially au courant paired with a tee and blazer.
It’s Time to Get Dressy
Salt and pepper. Shoes and socks. Bread and butter. Springtime and sundresses—some things are just meant to be together. Whether you’re in search of plus size black dresses for the office, heading to a garden party, or enjoying some afternoon sunshine with a cocktail, spring sundresses are easy, comfortable, and cool.
This season, two particularly noteworthy plus-styles are trending:
In 2022, it’s all about the poofy-sleeve. You’ll be seeing them on shoulders in blouses, jackets, sweaters, and gowns. A wee bit evocative of a Disney princess, this look works better when paired with a fun, printed textile to add some balance to the style.
Tiered Boho Dresses
Like Bob Dylan and margaritas, you know you love boho style but you’re not really sure what it is. So what exactly is boho? Technically, boho is a diminutive name for Bohemian style, a look that emerged as a renegade lifestyle in France in the 1850s but was adopted from the Roma.
Boho generally refers to styles that are:
For spring 2022, boho dresses are bright, floral, and flowy. With plus-size styles cut to flaunt and highlight your curves, these dresses look amazing paired with a little shrug or shawl (for that super boho vibe), low strappy sandals, a funky floppy hat, and a trendy piece of turquoise jewelry. Wondering what the best ways to wear a shawl are? Check out all of our tips and tricks to get the most out of your accessories.
Would it be an exaggeration to call wrap dresses the most flattering dress silhouette ever? We think not! Form-fitting, but only in the right places, wrap dresses are perfect for work, weekends, and weddings. This is one dress that you can reach for long after the season ends, especially if you purchase a longer-sleeve and neutral color.
Top (& Blouse) Boss
Plus-size tops and blouses for spring 2022 are soft, colorful, and swingy. With gorgeous detailing and in the trendiest of colors and prints, there’s a bouquet of fun choices ahead this season. Some of the looks we’re loving for spring 2022 are:
Long-Sleeve Peasant Tops
With blouson sleeves and a split neckline, peasant tops always look fetching, funky, and fun. They pair just as well with jeans as they do with dressy trousers or a tiered boho skirt. This season, they’re showing up in a variety of interesting textiles like:
- Embroidered cotton
Short-Sleeve Peasant Tops
We can’t get enough of these sweet flattering tops! In short sleeves, they’re a totally different vibe. Loose, comfy, and casual, they’re the perfect springtime look to layer beneath a cardigan or light jacket.
Put together yet untucked? Yes, it’s totally possible. With a twist–hem top, you just pop it on and go. Similarly, tie-front tops are an easy spring staple that takes the work (and belt) out of getting dressed.
A tee, but dressy. Adding ruffles changes everything. In classic jersey or french terry, a basic tee goes from drab to fab with ruffle sleeves (which, by the way, are the perfect springtime length to keep you cool)
Put the Spring Into Springtime with Karen Kane Plus-Size Looks
Whether you’re looking for a special occasion garment or doing an entire wardrobe overhaul, Karen Kane’s got you covered. Literally. From hats to jeans to sweaters to flowy dresses and everything in between, we feature top-quality plus-size fashions that don’t compromise on style or sophistication.
For spring 2022, we were inspired by the island of Capri to bring you a collection of trendy and boho looks like peasant blouses, tiered floral skirts and sundresses, and comfy twist-front sweatshirts. In colors like mint, oatmeal, aqua, and sand, you’ll look cool and trendy all season in our spring 2022 collection.
With our steadfast dedication to sustainable and lasting clothing, Karen Kane garments will have you looking great and feeling good.
The Lexington. NYFW Spring-Summer 2022 Spotted Trends. https://www.thelexingtonline.com/blog/2021/9/13/nyfw-spring-summer-2022-spotted-trends
BBC. What is Bohemian? https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-12711181
Pantone. London Fashion Week Spring /Summer 2022. https://www.pantone.com/articles/fashion-color-trend-report/london-fashion-week-spring-summer-2022
Patternbank. Spring/Summer 2022 Catwalk Print & Pattern Trend Report. https://patternbank.com/trends/spring-summer-2022-catwalk-print-pattern-trend-report