It’s known in the food world that what grows together, goes together. Two superstars of the Summer months are tomatoes and watermelon. We take the always-popular caprese salad, and add watermelon. Bonus points if you can source heirloom cherry tomatoes and opal basil to instantly elevate the color palette. My niece, Jamie shared this recipe with me. She and her husband, Jason, own and operate a bespoke catering, private chef, and meal delivery company based in Santa Barbara, CA, named Poe and Co.
Watermelon Caprese Skewers
What You Need
- Cherry or grape tomatoes, heirloom or traditional
- Mini fresh mozzarella cheese balls (you can also cut larger mozzarella cheese into balls)
- Watermelon, cut into ½” cubes
- Radishes thinly sliced (optional)
- Basil, small leaves preferred
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Prep all the ingredients for assembly by cutting the watermelon, tomatoes, and cheese, in small cubes; thinly slicing the radishes, and separating the needed basil leaves.
- Skewer the toothpicks with each ingredient, alternating between the tomatoes, mozzarella, watermelon, radishes, and basil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.